29 September 2006

You're Catholic, aren't you?

J - "I don't care what happens after I die. I'll be dead."
E - "Johnny! How can you say that? It's unholy to not be buried."
G - "Not in all religions."
E - "Well, if you are Christian."
G - "What about all those knights in the Middle Ages who were burned. They claimed to be Christian."
E - "Well, that was before they knew how to bury people."
L - "There are some Christians who are cremated, too."
E - "Well, I know you don't believe in God..."
L - "I don't believe in a Christian God. I beieve in a God and..."
J - "She doesn't believe the way you do, Mom."
E - "You're Catholic, aren't you?"
*L drops fork on floor*
*G chokes on meat*
*J turns red*
L - "I'm almost as far away from Catholic as you can get! If I were any further away, I'd be a Satanist! Catholics are Christians, by the way."

E - "No they're not. "
G - "Grandma, Catholics believe in Christ."
E - "But they pray to him differently. It doesn't bother me, but they are Catholic, not Christians. Well, if you aren't Catholic, what are you?"
L - "I'm..."
J - "Not what you are Mom. Want more meat?"

This was the scene (or close to it) at last Sunday's dinner. The participants were me, Significant Other (with a name change), SO's Mom, and SO's Son. SO's Mom still has no idea what I believe; I don't know that she would understand past the fact that I don't believe in the divinity of Christ - although, she has trouble with that, too.

4 comments:

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Holy crap.

Ligeia said...

Ah-men!

Loralee Choate said...

I would want to put a fork through my eye. I understand the whole Catholic/Christain thing ALL too well and it pisses me off.

Try being a Mormon.

My grandmother used to check me for horns, I shit you not.

Ligeia said...

Religious confusion abounds in this country - for shame.
As for the horns, OK, I'm smiling at that one. I have been asked if I sacrafice small animals - my response was, "Only if I use them to make potions."