10 September 2006

Relgious Connections


I saw this on the
Pagan Sojourn blog and, with permission, will be sharing my ideas here.

**I apologize if I have stolen any of Sojourner's words**

Sojourner read this line “Transpersonal Psychology concerns the study of those states and processes in which people experience a deeper sense of who they are, or a greater sense of connectedness with other, with nature, or the spiritual dimension” on the back of a text book*. She then wrote why the subject of religion interests her.

I liked the line (had heard or read something similar myself) and liked what she wrote - how she dissected it and then expounded. I'm going to do the same.

A Deeper Sense of Who I Am

Learning about Wicca - Paganism allowed me to learn more about my personal/inner self. I have come to appreciate - and not despise - the many facets of me. I am not a one- or even two-dimensional person and that is OK. It is comforting to know that the Goddess knows and loves my true self; this gives me to the courage to accept who I am.

And, as Sojourner said, knowing that the Goddess - and God - are "watching" me, I have learned that it is not just being good, but having good intentions.

A Greater Sense of Connectedness with Others

This may be different than for most people. My connectedness with people is not due to my faith but because of my faith. What I mean is this (please don't laugh):

I am highly empathetic. I figured this out the first time I went into a church after I started learning about Wicca. I had an overwhelming sense of sorrow and contentment and happiness and gut-wrenching fear - it was every emotion all at once. I cried. I always ALWAYS cried when I went into a church. I had a few people tell me it was the spirit of Jesus entering my heart. I knew this wasn't so - this was not something other-worldly.

As I read more, meditated, and talked to my Mentor, I realized what was going on - something I was told was a "bad" part of me was something quite good. Feeling, understanding - empathy - is a necessary part of who I am. I asked the Goddess for guidance and what to do with this "power". Her answer was simple: Be there. So, I use this gift - and many others - to be there for anyone who needs me. This is my connectedness to others.

I no longer cry when going into churches, but I still must meditate on a high level before I immerse myself into collections of people. Otherwise, every joy, pain, fear come flooding in!

A Greater Sense of Connectedness with Nature

Sojourner wrote:"Paganism has a special emphasis on how we are connected to nature. We are a part of the world’s life cycles; we are a part of everything around us. This connection is shown through explicit (Pagan holidays) and implicit (Pagan teachings and values) ways." I could not say this better.

I will add that I look to the Moon and to Birds to heighten and cement my connections. To those who knew me when I was younger, this will seem very odd. I was not an outside person. I liked being outside, but, the messages I received about my capabilities (or lack of) were so damaging, I was very uncomfortable outside...Unless I was alone, in a particular place in the yard, and there were birds. I felt free, I felt strong, I had no fears, I was open to the wind and what the Goddess was saying to me.

I believe it is true that religion is important to people because they need answers to "Why" and "How". Religious tradition keeps us going and keeps us connected. It shouldn't be the 'flavor' of faith that connects us - Christian, Buddhist, Pagan - but the understanding that we all believe in something. I'm not discounting Athiests - they have a belief system, too; it just does not contain an outer-worldly being. We each need our beliefs in ourselves, others, Supreme Beings, and our families - whether by blood or not - to keep us going, to keep us human.

* Daniels, M. (2005). Shadow, self, spirit: essays in transpersonal psychology. Imprint-Academic: UK.

No comments: