31 January 2007

Epiphanies for all, and to all, A Good Night


I couldn't find an epiphany quote I liked, so I made one up.

Our electricity went out this morning around 2am. I bought this really cool plug in light that goes on if your electricity goes out; it also has a switch, so you can use it as a flashlight. VERY handy!

Well, anyway, after getting out of bed to get cell phone to set alarm so we would get up in time, I had the awfulness of attempting to go back to sleep.

When I have trouble falling asleep, I have several things to choose from to get me to sleep: what I'll do the next day; what I'll write about soon; what would have happened if...; what would happen if... This morning, I chose something completely different.

It all started with an email we received from my husband's ex-brother's-ex-wife (long story). She considers herself a very religious, born-again Christian. She has no illusions that I am Christian - as a matter of fact, she is praying for my soul, as I type this. OK, I shouldn't have taken a pot-shot; but, hey, if I ever told her I was praying to God and Goddess for her, she would freak! Anyway...

The highlights of the email are this:

  • Hair stylist says to woman getting hair done there is no God (Christian) b/c, if there were, there would be no suffering or plagues or death or destruction.
  • Woman says there must be no hairstylists as people walk around with scraggly hair.
  • Hair stylist says if peopole don't want scraggly hair they can go to see her.
  • Woman says if people don't want poverty or suffering or destruction, they can go see God.
It has been many years since my Logic class, but I know there are many things wrong with that argument. Here are my thoughts:
  • If Woman is correct, then, those people who say they believe in God (Christian) but are still killed or devestated by volcanoes, hurricaines, fires, etc. don't believe in the "right" God.
  • Also, if Woman is correct, poor people would be coming in and asking for free hair cuts. Would Hair Stylist give free haircuts?
I've got other thoughts, but they only make sense in my head; so, I won't share them.

This email got me to thinking: Why did I "turn away" from the Christian God? WOW, talk about flood-gates opening! It makes sense, now, more than ever! I'll do my best to explain without giving too much detail.

Each time I "took" God and/or Jesus Christ as my saviour and gave my life over to them/him, horrible, awful things happened to me. Each time I found or returned to the Goddess, these horrible things stopped. Now, don't get me wrong: the current state of affairs (so to speak) in my life is not the best of situations. BUT, each time I have given Christ a chance, I've felt empty, no goals, no focus; each time I've turned to the Goddess, when I began to feel empty, she gave me something to fill (it with), I got a handle on my goals, I focus on my life. As I said, lately, it has been a struggle, but I trust it will get better.

Here are some examples of what happened when I "accepted" the Christian faith:
  • I was sexually attacked
  • I was physically abused
  • I nearly bled to death
  • I mis-carried
After each of those instances, I sought a way other than Christ. Early on, I didn't realize it was the Goddess, but I did realize that God (Christian) was not helping me through the horrible ordeals, that the Demon had crept in and made a home. After accepting the Goddess, that didn't keep the Demon away, but She gave me hope that I could get through it and come out a better, stronger person on the other side.

These are my reasons and thoughts on why I follow the God and Goddess. I would never deny someone the right to believe or follow Christ, his God, Buddha, Mohammed, Moses, Beelzebub or whomever! I encourage everyone to share - with themselves and/or others - their reasons for their beliefs.

Peace

2 comments:

DrOtter said...

Thank you for sharing this. I can't accept the Christian faith, it feels wrong, hollow somehow. It is extremely difficult to rationalize faith and science, and for now I've given up trying.
I'm glad that your beliefs give you the strength to face the bad things, may it always be so.

Ligeia said...

Doc, I understand everything you said. I have no problem having my Faith and a belief in Science; they work well together.
I'm glad that you have a belief system too; and, thank you.