15 January 2008

Patience, Poppit

I've written my letter and sent it on to Bridgette. Once I know she has it, I will post the recent scare. Until then...

What would happen if a Pagan ran for President? I think they are too smart to do so, but, if Mitt Romney is going too re-write the Constitution to align with (his version) of what (his) God wants - if he is elected President - and people don't seem upset by this - imagine what clear-thinking Pagans could do!

I can't find the exact speech I heard about on Air America, but I did find this one which sounds more like a sermon than a political speech.

p.s. Didn't Mr. Obama once state he was a Muslim?

2 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

If the world isn't ready for a Mormon President, I don't think a pagan would fair much better.

Frankly, I think that this is sad.

And?

There are many, many, MANY people who hate Mitt Romney and every single Mormon in existence simply because they are Mormons.

(My grandmother? One of those people)

I know that Mormons are still Christian and are not as excluded and "Taboo" as Pagans, but they are one of the most persecuted religions in our countries history.

It was legal to KILL Mormons in Missouri until the 1970's and there was a government sanctioned extermination order placed on them in the 1800's.

For myself, it is why I have always had sympathy and tolerance of other people's beliefs.

It would be hell to have such a radically different religion than other people. I had a tough enough time as a Mormon. Even though I am not "Active" I have to say that part of me is pulling for Mitt (At least with his OWN party) because I don't want to believe that Mormons are second class citizens.

I feel the same about homosexuals, pagans and muslims. We're all AMERICANS. It shouldn't matter.

But it does.

Arg.

Ligeia said...

L, I hope you didn't think that I don't tolerate other religions...I do! I just don't like it when anyone - no matter what their religion - decides to push their beliefs on me or anyone else. OK, that said...

It is very, very sad that any set of people is persecuted. And, no, I didn't know it was legal to kill Mormons! That is horrible!!

Of all the Republican candidates, I thought Mitt was the one with a good chance. However, now that he wants to bring religion into politics, I'm not OK with that. Even if he was a Solstice celebrating Pagan, if he wanted to put his religious beliefs into "every American's home" I wouldn't be OK with that.

And, you are correct, it shouldn't matter.