01 November 2006

As Promised

Last night's 'celebration' was low key but enlightening.

In lieu of a Dumb Supper, I served our food backwards: dessert, main course, soup, bread, appetizer. I also served counter-clockwise (Windershins, I believe), and did my best to eat with my left hand. As Blogger will not let me upload a photo, you will have to deal with an explanation.

Food Served =>

Cranberry-Raisin Pie
Chicken Breasts with Brown Rice & cream sauce
Vegetarian Vegetable Soup
Sunflower Bread
Saute'd Mushrooms with Parmesean
Littel Penguin Pinot Noir, 2002

To begin Supper, I lit the white candle then the Yankee Candle, cast a circle, invited those who had passed to join us. As I said, I served Windershins, with my left hand. I said a brief blessing for the food and for those who have passed.

After Supper, I cleaned the dishes, saved some chicken-bits for our animals, and prepared for ritual. Again, no photo allowed. So =>

A special scented candle North, Black candle in votive holder to East, Wheat candle to South, Black candle in pumpkin to West. All on an altar cloth that looks like fire.

I won't go into the finer points of my ritual here; that is private. I will tell you I set up a mini-altar as, throughout the day, I "knew" more and more I needed to perform ritual in a different place in my house. I now know why, and it makes perfect sense. I allowed the black candle in the pumpkin to burn out, which made a very cool effect - black wax oozing out of the pumpkin. Kind of creepy, but very cool!

I wish you each a wonderful and fruitful year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard in france they get their meals backward compare to what we do.
I could be wrong.

Anonymous said...

I never thought of doing the supper backwards, that is awesome. My night turned toward the mundane and I took my grandson out to trick or treat..Our supper was dumb, alright...we ate atBurger King lol..Glad you had a good ritual. Maybe next year I can concentrate more on the spirtuial and not the candy..Kids grow up fast, I cuoldn't pass up those moments..

Ligeia said...

Peppy, The 2 French-people I've known told me that they eat their salad last; that seems to be the only difference.

Autumn, Candy & BK - Heavenly :)
I've learned that the ritual isn't what is important - it is what is in your heart. From what I can see, you have a lot of heart.