02 October 2007

Heresy

To some, that may be what this post is.

Yesterday I spent time with a woman whose husband is dying. This is the 3rd time I've met with her; because of my pseudo-job (more on that in another post). I've known about her husband's condition since the first time I met her, almost 3 weeks ago. Each time I've met with her, she has come close to tears - losing the love of her life after 50 years will do that to a person. She has a strong belief in the Christian God. She believes her God has given her this "task" of taking care of her dying husband for some greater reason.

She was crying yesterday. She was afraid of being alone, of not knowing what she was going to do when her husband finally passes and she has moved to live near her daughter. She feels old and unable to "start over". My advice to her was to think of it not as starting over but as moving on from that point. Starting over is so overwhelming for people who have had a lifetime of only one type of reality.

Although I do not share her belief of a Christian God, yesterday, I did believe that there is an Ultimate Supreme Being. I believe the Goddess and God are the USB, collectively. I've always had a hard time dividing the USB into more than one; but I've grown in my belief and know, in my Soul, that the USB shows Itself in the forms we need.

Peace

2 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

That would be so overwhelming...Loosing someone who has been with you for FIFTY YEARS.

Man.

I think the advice that you gave her was very kind and spot on (Which is no surprise to me at all. :) )

Ligeia said...

:) Thank you!

p.s. I love your British sayings, Lass