17 June 2007

Interesting Thought

I suppose I have to consider Paganism/Wicca as religion. However, considering the bad rap the word "religion" has in society, I prefer to think of it as a way of life.

Comments?

This is what got me thinking:

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
- Steven Weinberg

I do believe that, even in the way of life I have chosen, there are those who will make a mess of things "in the name of" Paganism/Wicca. Yet another example of, as different as we (Pagans - Christians) are, we are the same.

Peace.

1 comment:

DrOtter said...

Well interestingly in Scotland a civil marriage must contain no religious references in readings, vows or otherwise. Most common way around this? To take excerpts from Celtic and Pagan ceremonies and other 'way of life' philosophies (philosophy is so much less emotive than religion to me).
I think people can make a mess of things no matter what religion they have. Religion is just the excuse to make bad things right. But I can't help thinking that with out religion to give the concept of good and the concept of evil, there would be only actions and perhaps we would have to think more widely about their implications before doing them.