05 April 2008

The Wall that Heals

We went to see the miniature reproduction of the Vietnam War Memorial - "The Wall that Heals".
I cannot describe to you the sadness and emptiness I found there. Being empathetic and sensitive has its downside.

I weep for the loss
of stranger's kin
I weep for the unknown
the fallen have faced
I weep for the men
who will never relax
who are now in the plane
reserved for those
who will no longer
suffer

I weep for the loss
of my husband's friends
I weep for the loss
of my father's soul
I weep knowing
my father will never
share the loss of his
innocence only to
suffer


Peace

1 comment:

Patty said...

I saw the traveling wall many years ago and still remember how overwhelmed I felt at the time. We are planning a trip to DC in June where I hope to visit the one there.